Wednesday 29 September 2010

Cartier-Bresson

Recently I have been watching the BBC Genius of Photography series and whilst a lot of the famous photographers mentioned have struck a chord with me, I first wanted to think about Henri Cartier-Bresson a bit more.
He's considered to be the father of photo journalism and he took to that form of photography during a time when there was a lot of debate about the direction that photography should take as an art form.
Its really interesting that he didn;t believe in post production and that he was one of the first photographers to embrace 35mm. These are important facts to me because I too strive to achieve the best composition when the image is being captured and I also think that had cameras not become handheld, the art form would never have progressed.

He stuck to 50mm lenses which is interesting, I often think Ib stress about changing lenses to much, for a future task, I might restrict myself to a 50mm just to see how it goes.

I'm going to see if I can get a copy of, The Decisive Moment and see what inspiration I can draw from it. I certainly need to start looking at his images more as I love the classic, behind saint-lazare station, it totally appeals to me that he stuck his head through some railings to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment