Sunday 10 October 2010

Philip Townsend

Yesterday I saw the Philip Townsend exhibition at the Lowry in Salford Quays where I was taking some pictures for the 'points' exercises.


The exhibition was really interesting, Townsend is one of the seminal sixties photographers who chose to take wider angled portraits and capture the context in which his subjects moved, mainly, sixties London. His contemporaries used tighter crops but Townsend wanted to show the area around the pop stars and models who featured in most of his shots.


What struck me was how much I preferred his candid shots rather than the popular ones of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.
There is a great shot of two 60s policemen abroad frowning at a French newspaper.


I also liked the picture of Burton and Taylor at dinner surrounded by fans and letting their guard fall.


Whilst the exhibition was very inspiring, I ended up taking some industrial abstracts which I quite liked.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment