Tuesday 26 October 2010

Exercise 22 - Real and Implied Triangles

Real triangles


The triangles exercise was useful and there really are triangles everywhere. An initial stumbling block that I had was the idea that a 'real' triangle could be one that is 'made' using convergence. Apologies for all the quotes, but what I'm getting at is that when I started thinking about triangles, I was approaching it from the vantage that a real triangle is a solid, actual shape that has either been created by nature (unlikely) or by man.
Such as this:


This is a detail of a small swing footbridge and the triangle has been made from two wooden sides and one of floor tiles.

As mentioned before, I found the idea of a triangle made by converging lines being a real triangle a confusing one until I redefined an implied triangle as being a triangle where the points are made up of separate objects. I used the Bridgewater Hall for my Triangle created by converging upwards.


Then, as the book predicted, finding a triangle that had been created by downwards convergence was a bit more difficult. I achieved this by walking past a lock and noticing this:




Implied Triangles

The implied triangles gave cause for another still life arrangement. I would have liked to put more thought into subject matter, but time and light got the better of me for this exercise. There should have been 5-6 objects but I will hold my hands up and admit that I didn't notice this just now! oops. I think the exercise is still useful.

Still life with apex at top


Still life with apex at bottom


Finally the trinity image where the models heads make up the lines of the triangle. This image has quite a snapshot feel to it, despite being taken for the purposes of the exercise. The models weren't being co-operative :-)







No comments:

Post a Comment