Sunday 3 October 2010

Exercise 13 - Vertical and Horizontal Frames

I was looking forward to this exercise as I have been concious of the fact that the majority of my photos are taken in horizontal, or landscape, format.
It's been interesting to read that this is not just me but a lot of people and I truly think that whilst the horizontal format is very flattering and quite natural, it's predominance is down to the design of cameras themselves.
Due to the number of photos needed for this task, I broke the instructions slightly and took them in two locations whilst taking pictures for the Contrasts assignment.

Here are a selection of the vertically framed photos that I took between a hill outside Oldham and Salford Quays. With the exception of the 'cow and clouds' photo, all of the subjects have got something either tall or a straight vertical which demands the vertical format.
It is interesting how well paths work in the vertical format, especially when on a lower gradient than the end of the path. This also concurs with the concept in the folder that the main weight of the subject will fall towards the bottom of the frame. It's almost like the vertical frame imposes a sense of gravity on the image.
So of the images don't work very well as there isn't a strong enough vertical subject such as the cow images.


The landscape versions of the images aren't as successful in most scenes.

It's interesting that the folder mentions radial subjects suiting the square frame as this is something I have tried for my Contrasts assignment.

I don't think I'm too entrenched in the habit of taking photos in the horizontal format and vertically formatted photographs, in my opinion, make better prints. But in future I will attempt to check both options when looking through the viewfinder, before I press the shutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment