Sunday 21 November 2010

Exercise 24 - Control the Strength of a Colour


This is the first of the exercises from Part 3: Colour. My subject for the image was one of the girders of a swing bridge in Newcastle.

I took these photos handheld - which may have been a mistake as the composition isn't exactly the same for each photo, however the colour fills the frame as required so they do the job.

The aperture stops that I used are F2, F2.8, F4, F5.6 and F8. I used full stop increments instead of half stop increments because I was using my digital compact which does use full exposure, but the indicator between the stops isn't very clear.

The 'correct' exposure according to the camera was F4 at 1/80 second and this is the third image. The exposure increases the brightness and seems to weaken the saturation making the colour seem more washed out the wider the aperture. When the aperture is narrow, the colour seems richer, more saturated and darker. It isn't actually affecting the saturation, it just appears to be doing so.




No comments:

Post a Comment